Saturday, March 10, 2007

FreeNAS

Wow, its been a long time since I posted. Work apparently takes up a lot of time. In the free time that I have, I've been messing around with FreeNAS. I had an old Celeron lying around which I scavenged to get this set up. FreeNAS is actually a very easy and inexpensive wave to get a RAID 5 network storage solution up and running on this. With this I can finally stop worrying about the day a hard drive fails and I lose all the data on it. Now all I need is a good gigabit Ethernet card so that I can get better throughput on my network once I move all my media files to this server. I think i am really doing this product a dis-service by not talking more about it, but I would urge anyone interested in a cheap backup or central storage to wiki more information here. It is really a very impressive piece of software. That works simply and as advertised.

No comments: